Monday, November 12, 2007

VETERAN'S DAY, 2007 (Observed)



My father was a veteran who proudly served in the US Marines during WWII. He saw action on Iwo Jima, and was wounded there. Some of my earliest memories of him were his showing me his photo album from that time in his life. It was a special album, decorated with the Marine emblem and contained pictures of him and his fellow marines posing for shots in various exotic locales during the war. Each picture had a story attached to it and a lot of memories.

My father passed away in 2004, and I know that he considered his time as a Marine as one of the most important parts of his entire life. At his funeral, the local Marine unit in Fresno, California--where my Dad lived-- performed a very moving flag ceremony and formally presented me with the flag in his honor. I am sitting here looking at that flag as I write this.

Once a Marine, Always a Marine. Semper Fi!

And on this Veteran's Day 2007, May all those who today courageously and proudly serve this country; and all who have ever served be remembered and honored. And may America and Americans always deeply and humbly appreciate the sacrifice that such service requires, and always be faithful to the memory of those who died protecting our great nation.

U.S. Marine PFC (sometimes Sgt.) Frank Santy - World War II

No comments: