Saturday, May 21, 2005

The Sith Hits The Fans

I have just a few words to say about Revenge of the Sith, which I saw last night:

1) Re: the phrase "only the Sith deal in absolutes"

I was under the impression that there was a "Light" side of the Force and a "Dark" side. No one has mentioned before that there was a "Gray" side. Bummer.

2) The dialog was uniformly lousy. I read the book and it was MUCH better than the movie in appreciating the characters' motivation (such as it was). For example, in the book, Anakin becomes jealously obsessed about Padme and Obi-Wan. This is barely in the movie at all, but it explains (for me) why Anakin becomes so enraged with Obi-Wan at the end. Also, I still can't believe that Anakin's abrupt and complete shift to the Dark side, even after 3 movies. The guy's an idiot.

3) I thought the flow of the movie was too jerky. He's had a number of years to get this right and I was disappointed.

4) The light saber duel between Obi-Wan and Vader was absolutely fabulous. It was the one part of the movie I truly enjoyed. My admiration for Obi-Wan went up a few notches.

5) Let me explain that I cry very very very easily at movies. Just the slightest hint of intense and honest human emotion makes my eyes well up involuntarily. Just ask my daughter, who regularly gets embarassed by my emotionality.

I didn't cry at all in this movie, despite the fact that I had a strong intellectual appreciation that it was a tragedy. Emotionally, it didn't connect to me at all. Except I was glad that Obi-Wan cut off his legs in the duel. He never had a leg to stand on anyway.

6) Finally, the Boo absolutely adored it, stated conclusively that it was one of the "greatest moments of her life" (of course, she said that about the Smallville episode this Wednesday, too) and intends to see it hundreds of times.

No comments: