Saturday, February 05, 2005

Book Recommendations

I do a LOT of reading and like most fanatical readers, I love to buy books. My adoring spouse, who is tolerant in most areas, has frequently threatened divorce if I purchase one more book (I have a library of thousands). He doesn't mean it, but it makes him feel much better to threaten me.

At any rate, I have decided to make some book recommendations to the readers of my blog. I have established links in the sidebar for you to get more information on the books over at Amazon.com. If you purchase them through the link, then I get a small portion of the proceeds and it helps me support this blog. These are all books I have read and enjoyed over the last three months. I hope you will enjoy them, too.

You also can feel free to drop some money in the Tip Jar (either PayPal or Amazon) at any time! If I raise a lot of money this way, I promise not to do an Andrew Sullivan. So, without further ado, here are some books I've read lately and think very highly of:

NON-FICTION RECOMMENDATIONS

The Case For Democracy
by Natan Sharansky
-In this book, Sharansky discusses the links between freedom and peace, tyranny and terror. I was struck by how much Sharansky's ideas must have influenced the President's foreign policy. Sharansky has been a KGB prisoner and a human rights hero, so he knows what he is talking about. I VERY highly recommend the book!

Anti-Americanism by Jean Francois Revel
-Revel spells out numerous examples of anti-Americanism from around the globe and demonstrates their intrinsically contradictory and illogical character. These are, he maintains, convincing signs that anti-Americanism is not a rational analysis of America's faults, but an obsession that borders on delusion. Anti-globalization, cultural criticisms, scapegoating--all of these are cogently and clearly discussed. In Revel's words: "[in every period of history marked by progress] there exists what one might call a 'laboratory society' where civilization's great inventions are tested. Not all are necessarily blessings, but they irresistibly prevail. Other nations have to adapt to these innovations, whether they like it or not....In the twentieth century, it was the turn of the United States. Hence it is not without reason, even if obviously overblown, that for billions of people the spread of the liberal economy is synonymous with Americanization." Extremely interesting!

Unholy Alliance: Radical Islam and the American Left by David Horowitz
-I have written many times about the psychological and political connections between the Islamic terrorism of today and the Leftist movements of the 20th century. It is not an accident of history that they are connected, as Horowitz spells out. Horowitz is an historian, and his interest is in identifying those who wish for America's failure in the Middle East. His conclusions are provocative and will really make you think.

Blog by Hugh Hewitt
-A good read, telling you all you ever wanted to know about the phenomenon of blogging and the blogsphere. Not too deep, but I really enjoyed it.

FICTION RECOMMENDATIONS

As my old high school english teacher used say, "de gustabus non disputandem est" [concerning taste there is no argument]. All of the following books appeal to me because of the incredible creativity of their plots; the excellent writing of their authors; and their mesmerizing ability to immerse you in a world extremely different from our own, but at the same time hauntingly similar. Some are examples of great and detailed prose (Clarke); engaging and complicated plot and characters (Rowling); or breathtaking creativity and humor (Fforde). I certainly enjoyed them, and I hope you will! WARNING: I read a great deal of fiction--much more than non-fiction and have broad tastes, including science fiction, fantasy, mystery, and romance novels. The books listed below are some of my current favorites.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

ALL of the Harry Potter Books (including the one that will be coming out in June, 2005) by J.K.Rowling:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
(publish date: June, 2005)

The Tuesday Next Series by Jasper Fforde, including:
The Eyre Affair
Lost in a Good Book
The Well of Lost Plots
Something Rotten

Happy Reading!

No comments: